Be Thankful and Satisfied with What You've Been Given.

| On

When I took my trip to the Pacific Northwest in April, and saw the wild forest and mountains, my breath was taken away. I told myself that I would certainly be back to take in more of those views. But today I had a thought I've never had before: what If I don't ever get a chance to go back? My whole world kind of came crashing down at that thought. 

I believe God is currently teaching me that I need to stop taking life for granted. It is not guaranteed that I will ever have that incredible experience again. Who knows if I'll ever even get a chance to travel to any place again. Who knows if I'll even wake up tomorrow morning. 

Last year, around this time, I got sick from stress and felt like I was going to die. I stayed in bed for over a month, feeling very uncertain of my future. I'm thankful to say that I no longer carry that feeling of death with me, but I am glad that I still remember how it felt, because it has touched my heart for people, especially children, who are chronically, or terminally ill.

It doesn't feel good to lie in bed all day, watching the calendar pages turn, worrying about dying and seeing other people progressing in their lives.

I can often be heard complaining about having to work, but today I remembered that there was a time when I didn't have the ability to work. 

I think it's time I stopped complaining, and worrying about what my heart is longing for, and paid a little more attention to how I can help others who are in much worse situations than I am.

I have been able to wake up every morning, feel healthy, have strength, be able to get in my car and drive anywhere, have the ability to travel, have the ability to work. 

These are things I cannot forget to be thankful for.

God, please forgive me for taking my life for granted. I thank you for all of the incredible experiences I have been so blessed to have, thank you for all of the amazing things I have been able to see in person. Forgive me for complaining about my life. Help me to remember all you have done for me. Forgive me for putting so much emphasis on my desires and my needs, instead of trying to help others as you have taught us to do. If I am unhappy, than I am not helping others enough. Give me the boldness to start sharing your love, In Jesus name, amen.



It is a good thing to look ahead and strive for what your heart desires, but it is an even better thing to look behind and see how far we've come, and thank God. Leave a comment of what you're thankful for!
9 comments on "Be Thankful and Satisfied with What You've Been Given."
  1. I love this post! I get so wrapped up in striving for my goals and hustling to make things happen that I often forget to just give thanks for all that I already have. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you are back on your feet and enjoying and appreciating the world around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The true key to happiness is gratefulness...especially in what God has given us! Today I am thankful for my job, my husband, my family and my cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great reminder! I am thankful for my family and friends, the opportunities that have and will come my way and for blogging :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and become oblivious to what's going on around us. I think it's great that you've been able to take a step back and be honest with yourself and where you need to make changes in your life to be happier.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature