Where Would Humans Be Without TV?

| On

 I think people would be happier, and more content with their lives (especially their sex lives), if they didn't have unrealistic, glamorized portrayals of "real life" situations to compete with. 
I know we would have more time, more energy, increased productivity, and better relationships with one another.
Our children would explore more, discover more and create more.
People would be smarter, quicker, more attentive, more active, and healthier.
 
Here are some reasons why I personally love watching TV:
⦁    It's educational and it's entertaining.
⦁    According to Wikipedia, current research is discovering that individuals suffering from social isolation (me) can employ television to create what is termed a para-social or faux relationship with characters from their favorite television shows and movies as a way of deflecting feelings of loneliness and social deprivation. #FAUXFRIENDS


⦁    It's fun to enjoy with my family.
⦁    It comforting, as it takes my mind off of my worries.
⦁    I learn things from watching other people make mistakes.
⦁    It gives me all the feels of living without actually leaving my comfort zone -also known as- my couch.
⦁    It is something I can do when I'm sick or have zero energy.
⦁    It distracts me while I shovel pounds of chow mein and black pepper chicken into my mouth.

                    OK, and now reasons why I hate television:

⦁    It makes me feel like I have no life.
⦁    It makes me jealous of unrealistic opportunities and situations.
⦁    It gives me unrealistic expectations.
⦁    It is subliminally teaching me to live carelessly, by example, because "things always have a way of working themselves out in the end".
⦁    It wastes my time. I’ve wasted 31 days, 16 hours, and 49 minutes of my life watching television shows alone. Calculate how much time you've wasted: http://tiii.me/

I am not going to list a bunch of guilt-inducing statistics about how watching television is bad for you, you can google that yourselves if you want to. I am not saying everyone should stop watching television. I am not even going to stop watching television. These are merely my thoughts. Please comment below and share your thoughts on the topic!
13 comments on "Where Would Humans Be Without TV?"
  1. I love watching TV but it does waste a lot of my time that I could pursue business venture and yes even make love to my boyfriend. We have gotten into a comfortable norm where we automatically turn the TV on when we get home which probably shouldn't happen. I like you're list. I may write a similar one to see if the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for sharing your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same love/hate relationship with TV. I'm not a binger but I do love escaping for a few minutes in the Bachelor or the latest home design show.

      Delete
  2. I love my tv. It's the perfect way to unwind at the end of a stressful day. I don't think I could go without!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree people would be happier. I know several families who have removed the cable channels and only use their tv to watch movie every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely if ever watch TV anymore because you're so right, you can sit down to watch for just a few minutes and hours later you'll still be there. It can be very addicting and is a huge time waster. I'm much more productive now that I've cut back. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is so great! I am considering canceling my Netflix account because I'm just watching TV series every time I sit down.

      Delete
  5. Could not agree more! We'd have more time, be healthier. I mean, I'm guilty as the next at watching TV every night, but sometimes I think I'd really be better off without it. And yes, I hate watching "romantic relationships" because it's hard to compare, even though those are unrealistic situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think even though we know they are unrealistic, subconsciously, they are telling us that's how it's supposed to be. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think as wise King Solomon put it there is a time for everything in life." A time to pray, a time to sing, a time dance, a time to be still, a time to reflect, a time to cry, a time to laugh, a time to speak, a time to listen." So everything in life has it's time and place. Too much of anything diminishes the enjoyment of it. This applies to television. I love watching television as much as the next person, but I rely on it as my only source of happiness? I think Psychologist Clyde C, Narramoore made a strikingly accurate statement when he said;"Happiness comes from doing, from achieving, from setting and attaining goals." Don't settle for enjoying life vicariously of your favorite TV characters, unplug yourself from the tube; get off that couch and go make life happen for yourself. Even if things don't work out according to your expectations, at least you'll have exciting stories to tell. ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are definitely pros and cons to watching TV. If I really get into a show I can just sit there and watch for hours... although if I really don't have the time to do that, I won't so I guess that's good. But like you, if I'm stressed out or if something's wrong it can distract me. Reading doesn't even distract me like TV does, sometimes. Also, the faux-friend thing. I was really upset about something a few weeks ago, so I put on I Love Lucy and it was so comforting to see some of my "old friends" and to just laugh for awhile. I

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature